Monday, May 7, 2012

Almost Done with Year 1!!!

I can't believe that we only have 4 weeks left!  We did it! :-)

B and I have had a great first year.  We have learned a lot.  I think that I have learned just as much as he did.  It's like going to school all over again ... but much more fun! 

I have most of my curriculum for next year.  But I have a lot of planning to do this summer!  Next year will bring many new challenges.  Homeschooling three kids will be much different than homeschooling one.   I will need to be organized ... not one of my strong points.  I need to figure out more storage for our schoolroom... I need to get organized ... did I already say that? 

Our evaluation is on the 24th.  I am really interested in seeing what it is all about.  I am slightly nervous (see above lack of organization comments) but excited to show our evaluator what we have done. 

We are going to finish our Math, Singapore Math 5B, this week.  I am planning on going back through 5A and doing all of the reviews again.  This way I will know that he has a strong foundation for next year. 

We completed our Science, Apologias Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology, on Friday.  After having Science every day, I thought we might miss it so I am filling in with nbclearn.com's free resources.  They have 10 videos on the Science of NHL Hockey.  We watched the first 5 minute video today called Hockey Geometry.  I know it's supposed to be Science but they include Math in the videos as well as Science.  At first B said, "I don't use geometry in hockey!"  but he quickly realized that he uses it all the time.  It was fun to learn that when he passes a puck off the boards to a teammate, he is actually using Geometry (angle of incidence and reflection)!  Or when he is trying to score a goal ... he is using Geometry (angles)!  I was worried that the videos would be over his head because the lesson plans that they offer are for middle or high school kids.  I don't know if it was his love of hockey but he loved the video.  He wanted to watch it again ... then he wanted to watch another one ...


Tomorrow we will be learning about Newton's Three Laws of Motion .... through hockey! 
Happy Homeschooling!! :-)

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nbclearn.com recommendation! I have Clipped it for use in Chemistry next year. Chemistry of Cheeseburgers? Cool!

    Congrats on your first year! We are concluding our second, and bringing home another one next year. Always changing. Always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole - I didn't see the Chemistry of Cheeseburgers ... that does sound cool! I will have to check that out too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your 1st year! My 1st year will be over this week. It's been a blast--better than I could have hoped for--and I have learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rikki - Congratulations on your 1st year as well! Glad that you had a blast too! :-)

      Delete
  3. That NBC Learn site is unreal. Thanks for sharing it. I am going to use the football videos for my son. You are right that next year's success is in direct proportion to how organized you can be. Also, you will probably need a longer day, as you will need to spread yourself thinner between all of your children. You are gaining two and I am losing one. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savannah - I definitely have some organizing plans this summer! Another big challenge will be the timing of everything. B had all of my time this year which will be an adjustment! Glad you liked the nbclearn site. B really likes the hockey videos!

      Delete

I LOVE to read your comments!! They brighten up my day! Thank you so much for taking the time!! :-)