Wednesday, September 19, 2012

MFW, Spelling Power and Rosetta Stone

We just finished day 32!!  I can't believe that we are that far along.  I love being ahead of the game.  It makes things like ... sick days ....  hockey tournaments ... possible.  We are very ahead of the public school and have lots of opportunites for flexibility. 

Since we are 32 days along, I thought it would be a good time to review some of the new curriculum that we are using this year.  So, here it goes.

My Fathers World - We are loving the geography this year.  Traveling to different countries and learning through crafts, games and even meals has been a blast.  I really think that the kids are learning their geography (as well as there mother).  We have made homemade pinatas for Mexico.
 
The kids loved this.  Especially when they got to hit the pinatas and candy went flying across the kitchen. Plus, they could wear the destroyed pinatas as hats. 



They had a blast making homemade tortillas and we actually may do that again.  It was very easy and super cheap!  We also just got done making clay suns and we are making Inuit soap sculptures tomorrow.  Lots of fun!

I am not as excited about the Science in MFW.  I think that after using Apologia last year ... nothing else compares.  The Science is included in MFW and coincides with the Geography lessons ... but it does seem dry and a little boring.  I am still thinking about adding an Apologia Science.

Spelling Power has been great!  I love how easy it was to place the kids and spelling is super easy each day.  I mean easy in a not time consuming  for mom kinda way.  The placement of the kids worked perfectly and I do feel that it is a great way for them to learn spelling.  It is also very easy and straightforward for me ... which is an extra super bonus. 

Lastly, we just started using Rosetta Stone for Latin America Spanish.  It has been great so far.  We have been doing about 15 minutes a day for the past two weeks and the kids love it.  I think part of the excitement with it is the cool headphones with microphone ... but I'm not complaining.  If it gets them excited about learning a language I am all for the cool headphones!!  I am also learning along with them.  This way they don't all learn Spanish and then have secret conversations that I don't understand.  It could happen. 

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. As always, your posts make me smile...love that you are learning spanish to stay in the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a week behind you in MFW and will be making our pinata this week! We are finding great success with Spelling Power as well. This is our second year using Spelling Power. The science is okay for my daughter, especially when we hit the nature study pages. Compared to what we did last year it does seem bland. The science that came with Year 5 was so awesome and really hands on. My boys are in 7th and 8th grade so we are using Apologia again. We'll be starting our Rosetta Stone after we get settled in CO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name: BroadBase Media
    Your email address: affiliates@broadbasemedia.com
    Subject: Working together.

    Message:
    Hi,

    We manage the Affiliate Program for several websites that we think may be a great fit for you and your audience. These sites include www.ergobaby.com, www.orbitbaby.com and www.skyniceland.com. Please let us know if you would have some time to chat, or shoot us an email and we can discuss further.
    Thank you in advance

    Marc

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!! They brighten up my day! Thank you so much for taking the time!! :-)