Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Reproduction - When do You Teach It?

At the beginning of the year, we started with Sonlight Science (Health, Science and Human Anatomy).  After about two weeks, we realized that it wasn't right for us.  The books are excellent but we didn't like the worksheets.  There wasn't enough hands-on activities and B was having trouble retaining the material.

We tried Apologia's Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy and Physiology starting in week three and love it.  It has interesting hands-on activities and the notebooking journal has everything from mini-books to crossword puzzles.  The only problem is that it does not teach Reproduction.  The last chapter talks about womb developement and genetics but they skip over reproduction.

I decided that we will take two weeks away from Apologia and learn reproduction from the Sonlight curriculum.  I have read all of the books that he will read and feel comfortable with the material.   It gives him ALL of the information but also stresses God's plan for reproduction.

This year, in the public schools, the 5th graders learn about reproduction.  I know that if I don't teach B about reproduction now, he will hear about it from his friends.  I'm thinking that learning about it from his 10 year old friends ... not such a good idea.  I would much rather that he learned about the birds and the bees from his dad and me. 

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE to read your comments!! They brighten up my day! Thank you so much for taking the time!! :-)