Thursday, August 25, 2011

If I could only freeze time ...

Over the past week I have had this thought many times.  I have had several things happen that made we want to stop time and stop my kids from getting bigger.   Maybe not a screeching halt (although that would be OK too).  But at least a slow down.  I know we all think this way.  It is just what has been on my mind a lot recently. 

I took my daughter shopping for school clothes.   I had some really great ideas about what would be adorable for the first day of school.  Unfortunately for me, E had some ideas of her own.  She is 6 1/2 years old now.  She has her own sense of style.  Last year I picked out a cute little dress with puppies on it for her first day of school.  She loves (still does) puppies.  It was so cute with a matching barrettes, socks and dog purse. 


I figured out pretty quick that I won't be getting away with this this year.  I thought that a cute jean dress would be nice.  E did not agree.  She told me that she is the only one that wears dresses. Don't get me wrong.  I don't dress her in uncomfortable dressy things to go to school.  They are usually cotton dresses with leggings underneath.  Pretty comfortable stuff.  Just not her style.

I still got the jean dress.  I know that it won't be picked the first day but I am sure that she can wear it day 2 or 3, right?  I will put up pictures Monday of her first outfit.  Spoiler alert - it is jean shorts with a t-shirt and vest.  The t-shirt is sparkly and has bright pink butterflies bows.  Betcha can't wait to see it now! 

I am trying not to squelch her creativity or personality.  As long as what she wants to wear is modest, I have learned to let her go.  Even if it is jean shorts with a bright pink sparkly butterflies bow t-shirt and vest on the first day of school.  Oh, I can't wait until next year when all this stuff doesn't matter!!  :-)

My son C also broke my heart a little today.   By that I mean that he made me gasp and think "oh no, please, stop growing up!" as I fanned my eyes to stop from crying.   He needed to get a folder for school.  He had a plain blue one picked out when I happened to see what I thought was a cool Star Wars folder.  He said, "Nah, I'll just go with the blue one."  Which we all know meant ... "Of course not mom!  I am waaaay to old for a Star Wars folder!  Geesh, I am 8 1/2!!"

So, once again I am so thankful that we will be homeschooling all 3 kiddos next year.  I don't want to miss a minute!!  And I won't have to see the look in this picture again!  Isn't it heartbreaking.  Thankfully, no one took a picture of the sad momma on the other end of the camera lens.  Even worse.


(This picture was taken last year on the first day of school.  B is now homeschooled!!  Much happier face on our first day this year!! )


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I often feel the same way--growing so fast. You'll have them all home before you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was a sad face in the bus window. But the year will go by quickly and then you'll have them all home. Listen, I've been following your blog and I enjoy it. Greatly!
    I have added a new blog frog forum to my blog - HammockTracks, and I wondered if you would be willing to check it out. I'd love for you to join the community and become a leader. In exchange for checking it out on a regular basis, and contributing to the forum questions or posting your own, I'd run all your blog posts from Monkey Munch on the forum page. Check it out and let me know what you think. Here is the link and thanks for your time. - http://www.hammocktracks.com/p/hammock-track-forum-and-family.html

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!! They brighten up my day! Thank you so much for taking the time!! :-)